Executive Director – Gloucester Housing Corporation
Gloucester Housing Corporation (GHC), the 4th largest not for profit social housing provider in Ottawa, is seeking an energetic and skilled Executive Director (ED) whose values align with ours to lead GHC in the fulfillment of its vision, mission, and objectives. If you enjoy a role that is both strategic and operational and are passionate about work that positively impacts the community and many people’s lives, then read on.
Our vision at GHC is that everyone should have a safe and affordable home. Our mission is to provide affordable housing to a high standard, in healthy and sustainable communities, delivered in a well-managed way, with the effective engagement of our tenants as a responsible and caring landlord.
Governed by a strong multi-disciplinary policy Board of Directors with expertise in housing, the community not-for-profit sector, finance, corporate legal, HR, and business management, the GHC has a local focus that enables us to provide a personalized, professional service to our tenants. Our experienced staff team has a good range of skills, knowledge, and experience in managing social housing, partnership working, and community engagement. Involving tenants in our work is important to us as is customer service, both of which are at the heart of our decision making.
In addition, GHC staff enjoy a competitive benefits and compensation package, flexible working arrangements and a team-based culture that supports continuous learning.
Accountable to the Board of Directors, and working with a dedicated staff team, the Executive Director’s major responsibilities include:
- Foster an engaged team culture that supports the achievement of strategic and operational objectives in keeping with GHC values.
- Develop a keen awareness and knowledge of the external political, economic, regulatory and housing policy environments and how they impact on the operations of GHC.
- Establish positive relationships with political representatives, providers, associations, and other stakeholders in the social and affordable housing community.
- Ensure a healthy, safe, respectful and engaged workplace.
Corporate Social Responsibility
- Promote and foster community development to create / strengthen healthy tenant communities.
- Promote an environment of outstanding customer and tenant service throughout GHC.
Strategy, Budget and Risk Management
- Provide strategic information and advice to GHC President, Board and Committees.
- Propose annual operating and capital budgets and oversee expenditures.
- Establish and maintain the Corporation’s internal financial controls.
- Oversee the regular monitoring, updating and reporting of tenant accounts, maintenance and repair expenses and contracts.
- Develop a risk management process and monitor its effectiveness.
Governance and Policies
- Oversee the development, implementation, and compliance with key corporate policies, including corporate governance, human resources, social responsibility, purchasing, contracting, risk management, financial reporting, maintenance planning, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Serve as the Corporation’s chief spokesperson.
- Explore opportunities for new affordable housing (re)development and oversee the contracting regarding the management, design and construction of new / redeveloped housing communities.
- University degree in Business/Public Administration, social sciences or related fields. Experience and formal training, combined with demonstrated performance and ability, may substitute for the desired academic requirements.
- Professional designation, CIHM is considered an asset.
- Eight (8) to ten (10) years progressively responsible relevant experience in a management position with supervisory capacity.
- A valid driver’s licence and use of a vehicle.
- An understanding of the social and affordable / not-for-profit housing sector in Ottawa as well as local and Ontario housing policies.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a volunteer Board of Directors.
- A proven track record of meeting operational and fiscal goals with strong abilities to strategize, operationalize, prioritize, lead and manage change in an established housing corporation.
- Proven experience building effective partnerships, community building, and collaboration with sound executive judgement in public and human resource relations matters.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and abilities to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English, including public speaking. French language skills are a strong asset.
- Demonstrated skills in project management, financial management, policy development, property and corporate management supported by strong computer and software skills.
- Excellent staff engagement, team-building, and mentoring skills that supports a respectful and inclusive environment.
If you have the passion, skills and experience that GHC is seeking, we invite you to send us your application in confidence. GHC has engaged a Human Resources consulting firm, Aligned People Strategies, to assist us with this very important recruitment undertaking so we kindly ask that you submit your application directly to email@example.com.
Please include a cover letter, stating your experience and understanding of the position, along with your résumé, as one PDF file by September 28, 2020.
Note: Criminal and credit checks will be required of the successful candidate prior to hiring.
GHC is committed to providing accommodations for applicants with disabilities during all parts of the hiring process, upon request. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Thank you to all applicants in advance. We will be in contact only with those selected for an interview.