The Certified designation program is for people starting their housing career housing, and/or working front-line positions who want to develop their careers. This designation level focuses on operational issues and the needs of frontline housing professionals.
This educational program helps you by broadening your knowledge and understanding of the fundamental elements of social and affordable housing. In this program you will:
- Enhance your effectiveness in delivering day-to-day housing services
- Learn the principles of housing practice including management and maintenance
- Broaden your understanding of the Canadian housing system
- Develop skills in managing people and assessing your own professional performance
- Grow your knowledge of human resource policy and practice, and managing change and risk
- Evaluate practices in your organizations
By successfully completing the program you will achieve the Certified Practitioner Designation (CertCIH) with CIH. You can then continue your housing education at the Chartered level.
HOW TO ACHIEVE THE CERTIFIED DESIGNATION?
You must successfully complete an online study of four learning modules (courses are listed below) to achieve the Certified designation.
Participants receive learning materials, access to a learning team and specialist tutor, and opportunities to engage with fellow learners.
You can take individual courses or complete the full program at your own pace. Taking a course doesn’t commit you to pursuing the full Certified designation.
Certified Core Curriculum
(click for course description)
You must be a member of CIH Canada to enrol in a course or designation program. You will be considered for entry for Certified-level courses/program, if you meet one of the following requirements:
- University/College degree/diploma
- Experience working in housing sector or related field
- Evidence of qualification with the Real Estate Institute of Canada (REIC) or the Institute of Housing Management (IHM)
- Qualified member of another professional body
Certified Program Costs:
- $850 + tax per Challenge Route module*
- $3400 + tax for entire certified program
You must be a member of CIH Canada to take courses/programs. CIH Canada membership fees are pro-rated.
*taking a course does not commit you to pursuing the Certified designation.
RECOGNIZED COURSES & PROGRAMS
We recognize courses from the Institute of Housing Management (IHM), Real Estate Institute of Canada (REIC) and Langara College. Learners who’ve successfully completed courses or programs from the list below will be exempt from completing the CIH Canada equivalent.
|Organization||Recognized Course/Program||CIH Canada Equivalent|
|Institute of Housing Management||Building Maintenance for Property Managers||Managing Buildings|
|Real Estate Institute of Canada||Successful Site Management||Managing Buildings|
|Langara College Continuing Studies||Social Housing Management Certificate *||Certified Designation|
*Individuals who have completed Langara`s Housing Certificate in the last five years will qualify for the Certified Designation. Those who have completed the certificate before May 2011 will need to demonstrate professional housing experience to receive the designation. Langara students currently enrolled in the certificate program are eligible to become a standard member of CIH Canada. Contact us for more information and download an application form here.
HOW TO APPLY